Kidney stones are one of the commonest reason why people visit a kidney doctor and if neglected can lead to kidney failure. Kidney stones are formed when the body produces excess chemicals and their concentration becomes high in the urine.
Many factors contribute to stone formation like genetics, environment, your diet and fluid intake. Certain foods can contribute to stone formation in the ones who are susceptible.
There are different types of kidney stones like calcium, oxalate, phosphate and uric acid. Diets rich in animal protein like meat, fish can promote uric acid stone formation. People who have recurrent urine infections are also at higher risk of forming stones.
It is very important to know what type of stone a person has/is forming
How to Prevent Kidney Stones
- First step is to seek medical advice and to know the possible reasons behind stone formation.
- You will need to undergo some blood tests and urine tests and scans to confirm the type of stone
- If the stone can be caught while passing urine or taken if a person is needing surgery and sent for further chemical analysis ,then we can confirm the type of stone
- Drink 3-4litres of water to keep the chemicals in the urine diluted so they do not form stones
- Dietary advise will be given by doctor depending on the type of stone to prevent future stone formation
- Children with stones or others with family history will need genetic tests to determine any genetic abnormalities
Kidney Stones Treatment
In summary most important things to remember
- Drink plenty of water
- Reduce salt in diet, Salt restriction 2gm/day
- Reduce animal protein like meat, chicken, and fish.
- Seek advice from kidney doctor early and prevent further kidney damage!