AV Fistula Surgery in Hyderabad | Bright Kidney Centre
When kidney function is impaired, dialysis is necessary to remove toxins from the blood. In dialysis, to gain access to the bloodstream, two needles have to be placed into a vein – one to draw blood into the dialysis machine, and the other to return cleaned blood back into the body.
Arteriovenous fistula (AV fistula) is the best form of vascular access for long-term use. Venous catheters are another form of vascular access, but they are only recommended for short-term use due to the high risk of infection.
AV Fistula Surgery in Hyderabad
A small surgery is required to create a fistula. An AV Fistula is a surgical connection between an artery and a vein, which is typically located in your arm.
Once AV fistula is done, blood flows from the artery directly into the vein, increasing the pressure and amount of blood flow through the vein. The increased flow and pressure cause the veins to enlarge. When blood flow and pressure are elevated, the veins become larger. The larger veins can deliver the required blood flow for effective hemodialysis treatment. AV fistulas are the favored vascular access method for long-term dialysis as they have a longer lifespan, offer superior dialysis, and have a lower likelihood of developing infections and blood clots.
Some DO AND DONTS regarding Arterio-Venous Fistulae
- Don’t sleep on a hand that has a fistula
- Don’t lift weights more than 5 kgs with the fistula hand
- Don’t take any injections and get any blood tests done on the fistula arm
- Don’t check BP on the fistula arm
- Do exercise daily with the ball- 3omts each time, 4 times a day
- Check daily at the surgery site for redness, swelling, or pain, and inform staff if you have any problem
- Don’t wear a watch, bracelet, and tight clothes on the Fistula hand
- Check the thrill on the fistula 3-4 times a day and report immediately if no thrill is present.
- If you notice bleeding from the fistula, press the bleeding site tightly with your hand and immediately come to the hospital emergency room.
- Your fistula is precious, take care of it all the time.
AV Fistula FAQs
What is the advantage of AV Fistula surgery in Hyderabad?
The advantages of AV Fistula
- An AV fistula is the best choice for vascular access in dialysis.
- It doesn’t require any artificial material to establish a connection between blood vessels.
- Blood flow for dialysis is good with an AV fistula. It helps in improving the dialysis efficacy
- AV Fistula significantly reduces infection or clotting risk when compared to other forms of vascular access.
- Compared to Venous catheters or AV grafts, AV fistulas are less expensive to maintain.
- The vascular access procedure is simple and it is done under local anesthetic
- AV fistula surgery is an outpatient procedure. The recovery is fast.
- AV fistulas last years longer than other forms of vascular access.
When should a fistula be done?
An AV fistula would be the most suitable option for dialysis if your veins are in good condition. To determine if your veins are both healthy and large enough for an AV fistula, a procedure called vessel mapping is necessary. This can be performed using an ultrasound machine or by injecting contrast dye into your veins to evaluate the size and position of your veins.
The ideal and best situation would be to start your dialysis with a fistula. In order to do so, fistula surgery should be done at least 4 – 6 months before your anticipated date of starting dialysis. Please discuss this with your nephrologist and plan your fistula surgery early. Do not delay!
Even if you start dialysis with temporary access your nephrologist will recommend AV fistula to be done at the earliest as a long-term treatment option.
How long it takes before a fistula can be used?
It is normal to feel some pain, swelling, and discoloration around the area where you were operated on for a few days after the procedure. You will need to start doing hand exercises 2 days after surgery for the fistula to develop.
After 2 weeks you will notice a buzzing sensation when you place your hand on the fistula known as a “thrill.” Which is a sign of the fistula developing well.
The AV fistula must mature before it can be utilized, which generally takes an average of 2 months. If you are unable to use the fistula after 3 months, then it indicates trouble. Please consult your nephrologist or the surgeon immediately.
If you are planning AV fistula surgery in Hyderabad, visit Bright Kidney Centre for a comfortable experience.
Leave a Reply