Heart disease often does not have any symptoms until your heart and blood vessels are badly damaged. It’s always important to talk with the best nephrology doctor in Hyderabad about being tested for diabetes, hypertension and also about the lifestyle changes that can decrease the chance of getting heart disease or making it worse.
Take Steps to Keep Your Heart Healthy on Dialysis Heart disease is very common in people with kidney disease or kidney failure. In fact, it is the leading cause of death in people with kidney failure. But there are things you can do to keep your heart and blood vessels healthy. If you already have heart disease, you can take steps to prevent it from getting worse. Always remember that heart health depends on your behaviour and lifestyle you choose. They have a
role in protecting your heart from further damage. Visiting the best kidney centre in Miyapur will help you know more about heart disease and treatment plans.
What is heart disease?
Heart disease describes a number of disorders that can affect the heart or bloodvessels. Your heart and blood vessels work together to bring oxygen to all parts ofyour body, including your brain, heart, kidneys and lungs. Having damage to eitheryour heart or your blood vessels can cause serious health problems. It can lead to heart attack, stroke, or even death.
Two common types of heart disease are:
● Heart failure: Heart failure means your heart cannot pump well enough to move blood and fluids through your body. Heart failure happens slowly over time as the pumping action of the heart grows weaker, or as blood vessels
that supply oxygen to the heart become narrow or blocked.
● Coronary Heart Disease. This disease happens if the blood vessels that supply oxygen to the heart become narrow or blocked. To know whether you have heart disease or not, get in touch with the best
nephrology doctor in Hyderabad.
Why am I more likely to get heart disease if I am on dialysis?
In addition to kidney failure, most people on dialysis have one or more of the following conditions
● High blood pressure
● Anemia (a low red blood cell count)
● High levels of cholesterol
● Poor balance of minerals like calcium and phosphorus leading to heart problems
Each one of these conditions forces your heart to work harder. As your heart muscle works harder, it begins to thicken and grow larger. Ultimately your heart muscle becomes weak, this leads to heart failure and death.
What else affects my risk for heart disease?
You also have a higher risk for heart disease if you:
● Are overweight
● Do not get enough regular exercise
● Are older than 45 (for men) or over 55 (for women)
● Have a family history of heart problems, kidney disease, or both
To reduce complications, always visit the best kidney centre in Miyapur for regular
check-ups and timely treatments.
Are there tests to check for heart disease?
You should get checked for heart disease when you first start on dialysis. The tests should include:
● An electrocardiogram (ECG) – A recording of the heart’s electrical activity that tells your doctor whether your heart rate and heart beats are normal. The ECG should be repeated once a year.
● An echocardiogram – Scan of the heart to show the movement of the heart muscle and valves. It also tells us about the size of the heart and how well it’s working.
In some cases, you may also need:
● Stress echocardiography – To help check for blockage in the arteries supplying to the heart. This test involves taking an echocardiogram before and during or right after physical stress, usually exercise on a treadmill.
Sometimes medication will be given.
● An angiogram- It’s a test done to check for any area of blockage in the arteries supplying the heart and help decide on the best treatment for you.
What treatment will I need if I have heart disease?
Your treatment will depend on the type of heart disease you have. Kidney specialist hospital in Hyderabad will help you with the best treatment plan. Your treatment may include:
● Taking medications
● Lifestyle changes (eating a heart-healthy diet, getting regular exercise, losing weight if needed)
● Angioplasty to clear a blocked artery
● Coronary bypass, which uses a piece of vein from your leg to bypass a clogged or narrow area of a coronary artery (an artery that supplies oxygenated blood to the heart muscle)
Can dialysis patients do anything to maintain a healthy heart?
Yes. People on dialysis have special health needs. Visiting the best nephrology doctor in Hyderabad will provide you with a treatment plan based on your health condition.
You can also follow these ten “Heart Tips” for a healthier heart.
● Follow a healthy diet
● Get regular physical activity
● Keep your blood pressure and cholesterol levels under control
● Keep calcium and phosphorus in balance
● If you have diabetes, keep your blood sugar under control
● If you have anaemia, get treatment for it
● Stop smoking
● Reduce stress
● Maintain a healthy weight